Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Next Big Thinggggg

Hey, sweet readers!

My brilliant co-redux-slinging CP, Cait Peterson, is the Next Big Thing, so she tagged me in this meme. (?) (I think that's how it works?)

Anyway, now that I've turned in Solving for Ex, my contemporary YA retelling of Mansfield Park, to Tricia, my awesome agent, I'm diving head first into my next project, which is what this meme is all about. I think you've all heard all of this already, but eh, what the heck?

What is the working title of your book?
Chrome.

Where did the idea for the book come from?
Well, I'm a sucker for theme in a story, as well as conflicted characters.  I spent like five years studying the Bible in grad school and I knew the story of the Exodus from Egypt had both out the wazoo. I thought it would be awesome to retell it for a young adult audience in a completely different setting. (Though there still is a bit of sand.)

What genre does your book fall under?
YA Science Fiction, baby!

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Uhhhhh I don't have any actors, but I have pictures! Beautiful ones.

Here's Havah:
Google Image Result for http://wherzitattoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/4013a__a_610x408.jpg
(model Carolina Thaler)

And her sister Sarra:
choppy pixie cut


And here's Havah's S.O., Orev:
Alex Cruz – Greg Vaughan – Dailymalemodels 03
(model Alex Cruz. Yum.)


What is the one-sentence synopsis for your book?
Chrome is a futuristic science fiction retelling of the Biblical story of the Exodus from Egypt with robots instead of taskmasters and plagues of mechanical spiders, twisted circuitry, and leaking battery acid. 

Will your book be self-published, or represented by an agency?
My work is represented by Tricia Lawrence at EMLA, who is a ROCK STAR. 

How long did it take you to write a first draft of your manuscript? May we see an intro?
I'm only about 40% of the way through, but all told it'll probably take me about three months.

What other books would you compare this story to within the genre?
Probably CINDER. *grins* A retelling of a classic story with robots. Wheeeee!

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The complete and total badassedness of Moses and the whole freaking story. Seriously. Go back and read Exodus 1-15. EPIC.

What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
At the heart of the story is two relationships: a deep and complicated one between sisters, and a devoted, sexy romance. Also: a murderous queen and BATTERY ACID.

Thanks for reading! I hate tagging people in these things, but by all means, if you want to play, consider yourself tagged and link up. 

Everyone wish me happy drafting! Thanks! <3 font="font">


12 comments:

  1. I CANNOT WAIT FOR CHROME. SERIOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Chrome is a futuristic science fiction retelling of the Biblical story of the Exodus from Egypt with robots instead of taskmasters and plagues of mechanical spiders, twisted circuitry, and leaking battery acid."

    I want to read this. That is all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! Taking a well known story and sticking robots in it is one of my favourite hobbies.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!! It's gonna be EPIC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you're focusing on the sibling element in the Exodus story. Thinking back on nine years of Jewish school, that element of the story always seemed to be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound amazing! I love retellings, and this one sounds so different from all the others out there. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That story sounds incredible! Once again, you completely amaze me with the speed at which you come up with such fabulous ideas and get them written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree w/Yael above me that the sibling connection has never really been explored and good on you for developing that part of Exodus (and 10 years of Jewish day school woots)! I can't wait to read CHROME one day and be able to say YOU DID IT LEIGH ANN!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, this is AWESOME! I cannot wait to read this. I know you have lots of critters, but if you ever need another one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that this is a biblical retelling, but in the least typical way. It would be fun to do ALL THE BIBLE STORIES. haha. I might be partial to Shadrach Meshach and Benny (or wait, that's veggie tales ;-)A new testiment story about saul/paul would be pretty sick too. Anyway, good luck. I have no doubt it will be awesome.

    P.s. I might have to steal your male model for my novels L.I. He's a little perfect for my Brazillan hottie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. CHROME sounds amazing. Plus, I'm a sucker for battery acid.

    Well done, girl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin